The Culture, Science and Technology (CST) International Salon was established as a new experimental approach to international exchange, providing a venue for regular information exchanges and other gatherings between foreign embassy attachés in Japan and representatives of the Japanese government, industry, and academic sectors. The ultimate goal of the Salon is to contribute to the personal networking of each of the participants. One of the special features of the Salon is its provision of lectures on fresh and interesting themes in the area of science, technology and culture, as well as providing a venue for exchange to occur. As a result of this, the Salon has received high praise from participants.
Information : The 18th CST International Salon
||17:00 - 19:15 , Friday 10th November, 2017
Room 202 for Lecture and Room 302 for Reception , Gakushi-Kaikan
3-28 Kanda-Nishiki-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Access Map [ http://www.gakushikaikan.co.jp/en/access_en/ ]
* 15 parking lots are available (Free, but in the order of arrival)
||Keynote Speech 1: "Current Situation and Future Perspectives regarding Severe Accidents at Nuclear Power Plants"
Dr. Hiroshi Miyano, Visiting Researcher, Graduate School of Engineering and Design, Hosei University
||Keynote Speech 2: "Present Status and Future Prospects of Marine-Earth Science and Technology"
Mr. Asahiko Taira, President,
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
||Free Discussions among Participants
|| Japan International Science and Technology Exchange Center (JISTEC)
||Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
||S & TDC Circle
||English and Japanese (providing simultaneous interpretation)
||Click here for the R.S.V.P. form
CST International Salon Past & Upcoming Lectures
(Honorifics omitted, affiliation and role listed for the time at which the lecture was given)
>> 17th CST International Salon (28 June 2017)
- Dr. Shin AOI,
Director-General, Network Center for Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcano ,
National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience(NIED):
"Current Situation and Future Prospects Regarding Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Resilience Technology"
- Mr. Tatsujiro ISHIKO, Representative Director , Nissin Sangyo Co., Ltd.
"Present Status and Future Prospects of Special Heat-Insulating Paint <Gaina>"
>> 16th CST International Salon (20 February 2017)
- Masahiro Sakane, Councilor,
"How to overcome deflation and promote regional revitalization- Komatsu as the epitome of Japan -"
>> 15th CST International Salon (13 July 2016)
- Dr. Taizo Yakushiji, Program Director, SATREPS, JST
Professor Emeritus, Keio University Research Counsellor/Board Member, Institute for International Policy Studies(IIPS) :
"Japan's New ODA Charter & SciTech Diplomacy"
- Dr. Tadashi Kamaｄa, Director general，Clinical Research Cluster,
National Institute of Radiological Sciences (NIRS), National Institutes for Quantum and Radiological Sciences and Technology (QST):
"Current Status and Future Prospects of Heavy Charged Particle Radiotherapy"
>> 14th CST International Salon (25 January 2016)
- Mr. Yoshinori Komiya,Director-General for Office of National Space Policy, Cabinet Office :
"Current status and issues of national space policy-"
- Mr. Kazuki Okimura, Counselor to the President, Japan Science and Technology Agency:
"China to Outdistance Japan in Science and Technology"
>> 13th CST International Salon (22 June 2015)
- Dr. Yasuhiro Kato, Professor
Frontier Research Center for Energy and Resources,
School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Visiting Principal Scientist,
Research and Development Center for Submarine Resources, Japan Agency of Marine-Earth Science and Technology :
"Is Japan going to become a resources power?
- Searching for domestic rare-earth resources-"
- Dr.Shu-ichi Uchikoga, Senior Manager, Research Planning Department, Senior Quality Expert, Toshiba Corporation, Corporate Research & Development Center :
"Introduction to R&D Management of Toshiba Corporate R&D Center"
>> 12th CST International Salon (11 October 2013)
- Mr. Yukiya Amano, Director General, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA):
'Peaceful Uses of Atomic Power and the Millennium Development Goals’
>> 11th CST International Salon (6 July 2011)
- Dr. Hiroyuki Yoshikawa , Director-General, The Center for Research and Development Strategy (CRDS) , JST : 'The Role of Scientists in the Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant Accident '
- Mr. Akira TAKAMATSU, Executive Director, JST : 'Approaches Implemented by the Japan Science and Technology Agency Following the Earthquake Disaster'
>> 10th CST International Salon (22 November 2010)
- Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi, Vice-Rector, United Nations University :
'Rebuilding the relationship between people and nature: the Satoyama Initiative'
- Mr.Cecil Masoka, Minister Counsellor, Science and Technology, South African Embassy :
'South Africa's Science, Technology and Innovation'
>> 9th CST International Salon (15 September 2009)
- Dr. Shinichiro Ohgaki, President, National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES):
'Science and Technology for Society –Wastewater Reuse System'
- Ms.Alana Yuill, Manager of International Relations in the Corporate Affairs Branch, Canadian Institute of Health Research : 'Canadian Institute of Health Research'
>> 8th CST International Salon (17 June 2009)
- Dr. Hiroyuki Yoshikawa , Director-General, The Center for Research and Development Strategy (CRDS) , JST : 'Network of Excellence for Innovation'
- Dr. Felix Moesner, Attaché, Head of S&T office, Switzerland Embassy : 'Swiss Science Policy'
>> 7th CST International Salon (25 November 2008)
- Dr. Akio Nagahira, Professor, Graduate School of Engineering, Management of Science and Technology Department, Tohoku University :
'Present issues and future directions for Open Innovation in Japanese large corporations'
- Mr. Františk Trojáček, Commercial and Economic Section Counsellor, Embassy of the Czech Republic : 'Scinecn and Technology in the Czech Republic'
>> 6th CST International Salon (12 June 2008)
- Mr. Kaname Ikeda, Director General, International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor(ITER) :
'Status of ITER project'
- Dr. Machi F. Dilworth, Director, NSF Tokyo Regional Office : 'The Other Genome Project'
>> 5th CST International Salon (22 May 2008)
- Prof. David Delpy, Chief Excecutive of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (U.K.)
'Science and Business in a Global Economy : Priorities for International Research Collaboration'
(Organizer and Host : British Embassy)
>> 4th CST International Salon (12 March 2008)
- Dr.Masuo Aizawa : 'Globalization of Sience and Technology Policy'
- Dr. Philippe de Taxis du Poët, Head of the Science & Technology Section, European Union-Delegation of the European Commision in Japan : 'The European Research Area'
>> 3rd CST International Salon (31 October 2007)
- Mr. Hiroshi Kuwahara, Chairman, JISTEC, Senior Corporate Adviser of Hitachi,Ltd. :
'Economic growth strategy and industrial competitiveness reinforcement in Japan'
- Mr. Thomas Schroeder, Science Counsellor, German Embassy :
'Germany -Image and Reality- Reality and Complexity'
>> 2nd CST International Salon (23 April 2007)
- Dr. Kiyoshi Kurokawa, Special Advisor to the Cabinet : 'Innovation 25'
- Dr. Jean-Louis Armand, S&T Counsellor, French Embassy : 'Nation's Pride'
>> 1st CST International Salon (25 January 2007)
- Dr. Ichiro Kanazawa, President, Science Council of Japan:
‘The Role of the Science Council of Japan in International Cooperation’